Rama Waleed Odeh, Ramallah, February 2011
Rama Waleed Odeh is a three year old girl, who was admitted to our Jerusalem Hospital for squint surgery in February. She lives with her adoptive parents in Ramallah.
Mr Odeh is a 46 year old casual labourer and Mrs Odeh, 43, is a home-maker. The couple could not have children of their own.
An 11-month old Rama and her twin brother were very small and thin when Mr and Mrs Odeh saw them at the Orphanage and decided to give them both a home.
Rama suffers from developmental delay. At three, she can speak only three words. Though she is hyperactive, she is introverted and tends to play alone. She has a habit of hitting her own face. In addition, Rama suffers from Infantile Esotropia, or squints, in her eyes.
In the Middle East, discernable defects of the eye are often scorned and Rama and her family have already experienced abuse from neighbours.
An MRI scan recently revealed that Rama has a dilated lateral brain ventricle, which means that part of her brain is enlarged or swollen. Once Rama has recovered from her squint surgery, her parents will pursue the treatment of the dilated ventricle.
In February 2011, surgery was completed successfully in Jerusalem. Mr and Mrs Odeh were most impressed by how supportive and helpful the staff were at the hospital, and how compassionate and understanding of Rama’s condition the doctors were.
Mrs Odeh said, “Thanks for St. John hospital that have helped me despite my child’s disability. They helped me by treating my child. I was exempted the cost of the surgery and wasn’t judged or made feel needy and poor.”
Hopefully, now, Rama and her family will be left in peace and not have to include bullying amongst their daily trials.
- Case Studies
- Case Studies Archive
- Mrs Khadra Marawa, Tamoon near Jenin, May 2012
- Mrs Fawzieh Mohammad Abu Imayyer, Beit Awwa, March 2012
- Miriam, Tulkarem, February 2012
- Mahmoud Dar Edwan, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Majdi Zaki Asmar, Askar Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Munther Al Dahshan, Gaza, February 2012
- Mrs Mufedeh Salah, Kufer Jamal, January 2012
- Ahmad Rabaia, Jenin, January 2012
- Hiba Karayra, Fondokomia, October 2011
- Mariam Awad, Gaza, September 2011
- Amjad Barakat, Jerusalem, September 2011
- Mahmoud and Mustafa Twam, Ramallah, August 2011
- Mr. Moh’d Jaradat, Idna, July 2011
- Ra’fat and Aseel Yaseen, Asseralh Elshamalieh in Nablus, July 2011
- Jinna Jamil, Bedia, near Nablus, July 2011
- Mohammad Awwad, Talfeet, June 2011
- Mrs Ala’ Mansour, Qalqilya, June 2011
- Mohammad El Foudi, Tulkarm Refugee Camp, June 2011
- Suliman Rastieh, Jericho, June 2011
- Shorouq Mohamadin, Masafer Bani Naim Bedouin Camp, May 2011
- Mrs Bahijeh Fahim, Taybeh, April 2011
- Mohammed Alkharbeesh, Gaza, March 2011
- Mohammad Amro, Dura, February 2011
- Rama Waleed Odeh, Ramallah, February 2011
- Mr Adel Abu El Rub, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2011
- The Najar Family, Nablus, January 2011
- Ahmed Elnajar, Gaza, January 2011
- Brothers Bashar and Ibrahim Mahmoud al Haj, Jalqamous, December 2010
- Mrs Shamasneh, Ramallah, December 2010
- The Libdeh Family, Jerusalem, December 2010
- The Thawabteh Family, Bethlehem, December 2010
- Hiba Sahwel, Gaza, October 2010
- Fadi Anwar, Gaza, September 2010
- Mrs Mousa, Jericho, September 2010
- Ayyoub Mohammad, Jericho, March 2010
- Mr. Nawaf Khader, Sawahreh Village, March 2010
- Hamzeh Ziad Mohammad Farawani, Askar Refugee Camp, March 2010