Mr Majdi Zaki Asmar, Askar Refugee Camp, February 2012
36 year old baker, Majdi Zaki Asmar lives in the Askar Refugee Camp on the outskirts of the West Bank city of Nablus.
Known to the St .John Eye Hospital in Jerusalem since 1991, when the 16 year old Majdi was referred to us for Keratoconus in his left eye, he was admitted to the hospital in February this year to undergo corneal graft surgery in both eyes.
Keratoconus is a degenerative disorder of the eye in which structural changes within the cornea cause it to thin and change to a more conical shape than its normal gradual curve.
The condition can cause substantial distortion of vision, with multiple images, streaking and sensitivity to light all often reported by the patient. It is typically diagnosed in the patient's adolescent years and attains its most severe state in the twenties and thirties.
The surgery was successful, but Majdi must also now wear a hard contact lens in his left eye to achieve 6/6 vision and working in a bakery with loose flour will only aggravate his condition. He has been advised to look for alternative employment in order to protect his eye.
In the meantime, now married with five children between the ages of three and ten, Majdi’s work in the bakery pays only 1500 NIS every month (around £250), which is not a lot with which to look after a large family – or to pay medical bills.
His case examined by our Social Worker in Jerusalem, SJEHG exempted Majdi from the expense of his hard lenses.
The patient described his stay at our Jerusalem Hospital as very comfortable. He thanked all at the hospital for giving him the treatment that he needed despite his difficult financial situation
- Case Studies
- Case Studies Archive
- Mrs Khadra Marawa, Tamoon near Jenin, May 2012
- Mrs Fawzieh Mohammad Abu Imayyer, Beit Awwa, March 2012
- Miriam, Tulkarem, February 2012
- Mahmoud Dar Edwan, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Majdi Zaki Asmar, Askar Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Munther Al Dahshan, Gaza, February 2012
- Mrs Mufedeh Salah, Kufer Jamal, January 2012
- Ahmad Rabaia, Jenin, January 2012
- Hiba Karayra, Fondokomia, October 2011
- Mariam Awad, Gaza, September 2011
- Amjad Barakat, Jerusalem, September 2011
- Mahmoud and Mustafa Twam, Ramallah, August 2011
- Mr. Moh’d Jaradat, Idna, July 2011
- Ra’fat and Aseel Yaseen, Asseralh Elshamalieh in Nablus, July 2011
- Jinna Jamil, Bedia, near Nablus, July 2011
- Mohammad Awwad, Talfeet, June 2011
- Mrs Ala’ Mansour, Qalqilya, June 2011
- Mohammad El Foudi, Tulkarm Refugee Camp, June 2011
- Suliman Rastieh, Jericho, June 2011
- Shorouq Mohamadin, Masafer Bani Naim Bedouin Camp, May 2011
- Mrs Bahijeh Fahim, Taybeh, April 2011
- Mohammed Alkharbeesh, Gaza, March 2011
- Mohammad Amro, Dura, February 2011
- Rama Waleed Odeh, Ramallah, February 2011
- Mr Adel Abu El Rub, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2011
- The Najar Family, Nablus, January 2011
- Ahmed Elnajar, Gaza, January 2011
- Brothers Bashar and Ibrahim Mahmoud al Haj, Jalqamous, December 2010
- Mrs Shamasneh, Ramallah, December 2010
- The Libdeh Family, Jerusalem, December 2010
- The Thawabteh Family, Bethlehem, December 2010
- Hiba Sahwel, Gaza, October 2010
- Fadi Anwar, Gaza, September 2010
- Mrs Mousa, Jericho, September 2010
- Ayyoub Mohammad, Jericho, March 2010
- Mr. Nawaf Khader, Sawahreh Village, March 2010
- Hamzeh Ziad Mohammad Farawani, Askar Refugee Camp, March 2010