Hamzeh Ziad Mohammad Farawani, Askar Refugee Camp, March 2010
Hamzeh is a healthy, ten year old boy, from the Askar Refugee Camp in Nablus. His father works as an accountant in a bank and his mother is a housewife. His grandparents were made refugees in 1948 and the grandfather was killed in the war, leaving behind a pregnant wife, who then single-handedly brought up her son (Hamzeh’s father).
On 28 February 2010, Hamzeh was out with his friends and, on his way home, he slipped on muddy ground and fell hitting his face against a metallic fence. The retina in his right eye detached. His father immediately took him to a local ophthalmologist for primary repair of his wound and he was then referred to the St. John Eye Clinic in Anabta for further treatment.
Hamzeh was examined by the team in Anabta who immediately decided that he should be seen by the Retinal Consultant at the Jerusalem Hospital. Upon arrival at Jerusalem, Hamzeh was examined by the Consultant and, as well as the detached retina in his right eye, was found to have cataract in his left.
*Hamzeh asleep on the Children's Ward in Jerusalem.
Hamzeh underwent major, very complicated surgery that lasted for three hours, while his father and grandmother waited outside the operating theatre. His opaque lens was removed and retinal detachment was repaired. He stayed four days as an inpatient and will return to the Hospital for regular check-ups.
Hamzeh has now decided to be an ophthalmologist when he grows up. He didn’t want to leave the Hospital until he was assured that he could come back after two weeks for his follow up. His father was tearful as they finally did leave and expressed his gratitude to the team at the Hospital for the good care they took of his son.
- Case Studies
- Case Studies Archive
- Mrs Khadra Marawa, Tamoon near Jenin, May 2012
- Mrs Fawzieh Mohammad Abu Imayyer, Beit Awwa, March 2012
- Miriam, Tulkarem, February 2012
- Mahmoud Dar Edwan, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Majdi Zaki Asmar, Askar Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Munther Al Dahshan, Gaza, February 2012
- Mrs Mufedeh Salah, Kufer Jamal, January 2012
- Ahmad Rabaia, Jenin, January 2012
- Hiba Karayra, Fondokomia, October 2011
- Mariam Awad, Gaza, September 2011
- Amjad Barakat, Jerusalem, September 2011
- Mahmoud and Mustafa Twam, Ramallah, August 2011
- Mr. Moh’d Jaradat, Idna, July 2011
- Ra’fat and Aseel Yaseen, Asseralh Elshamalieh in Nablus, July 2011
- Jinna Jamil, Bedia, near Nablus, July 2011
- Mohammad Awwad, Talfeet, June 2011
- Mrs Ala’ Mansour, Qalqilya, June 2011
- Mohammad El Foudi, Tulkarm Refugee Camp, June 2011
- Suliman Rastieh, Jericho, June 2011
- Shorouq Mohamadin, Masafer Bani Naim Bedouin Camp, May 2011
- Mrs Bahijeh Fahim, Taybeh, April 2011
- Mohammed Alkharbeesh, Gaza, March 2011
- Mohammad Amro, Dura, February 2011
- Rama Waleed Odeh, Ramallah, February 2011
- Mr Adel Abu El Rub, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2011
- The Najar Family, Nablus, January 2011
- Ahmed Elnajar, Gaza, January 2011
- Brothers Bashar and Ibrahim Mahmoud al Haj, Jalqamous, December 2010
- Mrs Shamasneh, Ramallah, December 2010
- The Libdeh Family, Jerusalem, December 2010
- The Thawabteh Family, Bethlehem, December 2010
- Hiba Sahwel, Gaza, October 2010
- Fadi Anwar, Gaza, September 2010
- Mrs Mousa, Jericho, September 2010
- Ayyoub Mohammad, Jericho, March 2010
- Mr. Nawaf Khader, Sawahreh Village, March 2010
- Hamzeh Ziad Mohammad Farawani, Askar Refugee Camp, March 2010