Miriam, Tulkarem, February 2012
Mariam is a three and a half year old girl who lives in Tulkarem, north-west of Nablus.
Her first contact with St John Eye Hospital was at the St John Satellite clinic in Anabta. Her family had noticed her squinting and a local Optometrist had already prescribed glasses for her. However, the family still considered Mariam’s squint to be unsightly.
At the Anabta Clinic, Mariam was examined by Dr Habes, Paediatric Ophthalmologist, Siw Westman, Orthoptist, and Habib, Optometrist. They confirmed that she was moderately long-sighted and that her family should encourage her to wear her glasses full-time, in order to know their full effect on her cosmetic appearance as well as her vision.
Mariam returned to Anabta clinic in February 2012, where she was examined by Younes Abdel Jawwad, a Hospital Group-trained Orthoptic Assistant. Her corrected vision was good and equal but her squint remained cosmetically unacceptable. Her family were keen to correct her squint early, so Dr Habes booked her for squint surgery in Jerusalem.
On 29th February 2012, Mariam reached St John Eye Hospital in Jerusalem. She was wearing her glasses full time and her vision in each eye had improved well. Her squint still required attention.
The weather had been very wintery all month; rain, hail, wind and snow in some parts. Mariam had a cold and was breathing through her mouth, so she was seen by the St John Anaesthetist and an ENT specialist, who thankfully confirmed her fit for general aneasthesia, so her squint surgery went ahead as planned. She had one muscle operated on in each eye.
Mariam’s surgical result was excellent, but snow fell in Jerusalem on 1st March 2012, so she remained in hospital two days longer than normal, until the roads were clear for her to travel home. She has promised to wear her glasses full-time.
Compiled by Judith Musallam
*Our work treating young girls with squints in supported by Children of Peace
- Case Studies
- Case Studies Archive
- Mrs Khadra Marawa, Tamoon near Jenin, May 2012
- Mrs Fawzieh Mohammad Abu Imayyer, Beit Awwa, March 2012
- Miriam, Tulkarem, February 2012
- Mahmoud Dar Edwan, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Majdi Zaki Asmar, Askar Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Munther Al Dahshan, Gaza, February 2012
- Mrs Mufedeh Salah, Kufer Jamal, January 2012
- Ahmad Rabaia, Jenin, January 2012
- Hiba Karayra, Fondokomia, October 2011
- Mariam Awad, Gaza, September 2011
- Amjad Barakat, Jerusalem, September 2011
- Mahmoud and Mustafa Twam, Ramallah, August 2011
- Mr. Moh’d Jaradat, Idna, July 2011
- Jinna Jamil, Bedia, near Nablus, July 2011
- Mohammad Awwad, Talfeet, June 2011
- Mrs Ala’ Mansour, Qalqilya, June 2011
- Mohammad El Foudi, Tulkarm Refugee Camp, June 2011
- Suliman Rastieh, Jericho, June 2011
- Shorouq Mohamadin, Masafer Bani Naim Bedouin Camp, May 2011
- Mrs Bahijeh Fahim, Taybeh, April 2011
- Mohammed Alkharbeesh, Gaza, March 2011
- Mohammad Amro, Dura, February 2011
- Rama Waleed Odeh, Ramallah, February 2011
- Mr Adel Abu El Rub, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2011
- The Najar Family, Nablus, January 2011
- Ahmed Elnajar, Gaza, January 2011
- Brothers Bashar and Ibrahim Mahmoud al Haj, Jalqamous, December 2010
- Mrs Shamasneh, Ramallah, December 2010
- The Libdeh Family, Jerusalem, December 2010
- The Thawabteh Family, Bethlehem, December 2010
- Hiba Sahwel, Gaza, October 2010
- Fadi Anwar, Gaza, September 2010
- Mrs Mousa, Jericho, September 2010
- Ayyoub Mohammad, Jericho, March 2010
- Mr. Nawaf Khader, Sawahreh Village, March 2010
- Hamzeh Ziad Mohammad Farawani, Askar Refugee Camp, March 2010