Ahmed Elnajar, Gaza, January 2011
Ahmed Elnajar lives with his parents, two brothers and three sisters in one of the refugee camps in the Gaza Strip, in a small house consisting of two rooms. His father is unemployed.
His father became concerned about Ahmed after the boy suffered a stone-throw to the right eye and his vision began to deteriorate.
The injury induced a cataract in Ahmed’s eye with the corresponding clouding in vision. When his friends began to call him names due to the defect in his eye – not uncommon in the OPT – Ahmed’s father took him to the local municipal eye hospital in Gaza. There, Ahmed underwent an operation that was unsuccessful and Mr Elnajar lost hope that his son would regain his sight.
Several relatives and neighbours advised the Elnajars to take Ahmed to the St. John Eye Clinic in Gaza where Ahmed was finally seen by our doctors.
He was immediately scheduled to have an operation to remove the cataract and replace it with an intraocular lens (IOL). The operation was successfully performed in our Gaza operating theatre.
After his treatment, Ahmed was again able to play with his peers and to read and study properly at school. His family were all delighted. Mr Elnajar said that he is, “very grateful to St. John as Ahmed can now be like other children and take part in the world around him again”.
- Case Studies
- Case Studies Archive
- Mrs Khadra Marawa, Tamoon near Jenin, May 2012
- Mrs Fawzieh Mohammad Abu Imayyer, Beit Awwa, March 2012
- Miriam, Tulkarem, February 2012
- Mahmoud Dar Edwan, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Majdi Zaki Asmar, Askar Refugee Camp, February 2012
- Mr Munther Al Dahshan, Gaza, February 2012
- Mrs Mufedeh Salah, Kufer Jamal, January 2012
- Ahmad Rabaia, Jenin, January 2012
- Hiba Karayra, Fondokomia, October 2011
- Mariam Awad, Gaza, September 2011
- Amjad Barakat, Jerusalem, September 2011
- Mahmoud and Mustafa Twam, Ramallah, August 2011
- Mr. Moh’d Jaradat, Idna, July 2011
- Jinna Jamil, Bedia, near Nablus, July 2011
- Mohammad Awwad, Talfeet, June 2011
- Mrs Ala’ Mansour, Qalqilya, June 2011
- Mohammad El Foudi, Tulkarm Refugee Camp, June 2011
- Suliman Rastieh, Jericho, June 2011
- Shorouq Mohamadin, Masafer Bani Naim Bedouin Camp, May 2011
- Mrs Bahijeh Fahim, Taybeh, April 2011
- Mohammed Alkharbeesh, Gaza, March 2011
- Mohammad Amro, Dura, February 2011
- Rama Waleed Odeh, Ramallah, February 2011
- Mr Adel Abu El Rub, Qalandia Refugee Camp, February 2011
- The Najar Family, Nablus, January 2011
- Ahmed Elnajar, Gaza, January 2011
- Brothers Bashar and Ibrahim Mahmoud al Haj, Jalqamous, December 2010
- Mrs Shamasneh, Ramallah, December 2010
- The Libdeh Family, Jerusalem, December 2010
- The Thawabteh Family, Bethlehem, December 2010
- Hiba Sahwel, Gaza, October 2010
- Fadi Anwar, Gaza, September 2010
- Mrs Mousa, Jericho, September 2010
- Ayyoub Mohammad, Jericho, March 2010
- Mr. Nawaf Khader, Sawahreh Village, March 2010
- Hamzeh Ziad Mohammad Farawani, Askar Refugee Camp, March 2010